Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Houston's history, hustle, and codeine

I just bumped into this 5 part VBS TV special on Houston's historical spot in the rap game. From syrup sippin' and 3 mph driving, to never-ceasing mixtape grinds and DJ Screw's (RIP) chopped & screwed ways. I had to watch.

I used to be all about the southern steez. The first spot I lived at after moving out of the fam's place was this house with 3 fellow basketball players, brothers Colby & L-Dog, and big man Chubbz. Ball and loud music, all we cared about. Perfectly soundproof pad too. Soundsystems and computers were never turned off, and all playing southern mixtapes like they were going out of business. Bathroom would boom with "SOUTHERN SMOKE!" track intro yells (why so often DJ Smallz, whyyy?) during showers, while the living room filled with sounds of Trae, Webbie, Mi'ssez, Stat Quo, Sleepy Brown, and Da Backwudz. I miss the days.

"Screwed In Houston", all 5 parts below. Enjoy.





No comments: